Sunday, January 24, 2021

Book Review

 Entry 8:

Reflection 

Topic: Last sentence of Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

"Between Barton and Delaford, there was that constant communication which strong family affection would naturally dictate;—and among the merits and the happiness of Elinor and Marianne, let it not be ranked as the least considerable, that though sisters, and living almost within sight of each other, they could live without disagreement between themselves, producing coolness between their husbands." 


    I have never read this book, but I wanted to see if with a little research into this last lines meaning and trying to see if I can get the gist of the book before I start reading it. 
    By just reading this line alone it seems as though there was a conflict build up throughout the book between Barton and Delaford, Elinor and Marianne; this line makes it appear as they got over it and realized family and friendship is more important than petty disagreements. Seems like a happy ending.
    However the "coolness" between husbands also makes me suspect that not everyone is happy. It seems as though this last line shows that not all relationships can be perfect all the time, that there will be ups and downs in their lives. I still think that no matter what though the last lines shows how true happiness and friendship should overcome all obstacles.
    After doing a bit of research on the ending there are a lot of questions on it there is actually a happy ending to the book. Wondering if Marianne really loves him? Or if she only married this man because it made "sense" to others. Saying that the narrator keeps telling us how much she truly does but the readers have still questioned her feelings. 
    There is no for sure way to tell by reading articles what the true meaning of the last line is but I figured I would give it a try. I guess I will have to read the book to figure out the true ending and the complete story. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Finals thoughts

 Entry 67: Topic: Thoughts     I am slowly but surely, running out of things to talk about in my blog. As time has been progressing I keep f...