Friday, January 22, 2021

Questions in Writing

Entry 1: 

Reflective Interaction

Topic: Reading/Quote from Understanding Rhetoric: "Introduction: Spaces for Writing"  

"There's so much to say-- how do you know what's worth saying? And when to say it? And how?"

    Seconds after reading this, I began working on my blog. I started creating several rough drafts to capture what I want to say on this quote. Collecting and composing my thoughts into what I feel best portrays my emotions for this one sentence. 

    To state why I chose this three pages into the introduction, the reason I struggled so much on starting my commonplace I didn’t know what to say- the quote explains how I felt. 

    To break down my thoughts, I want to look at the quote in pieces and reflect further on it. To start, “There’s so much to say,” yes there is. There are 171,146 words in the English language and a lot of problems everywhere in the world. There should be a lot to say. “How do you know what’s worth saying,” you don’t. How do you know what to say when people in society today constantly judge you? You never know if people will like what you have to say in your work. 

    If you sit and consider that there are so many topics you can choose from, so many people to please, then no one would ever start sharing their thoughts with the world. You cannot sit down and work on something and expect to please everyone. While I understand writing is more for others than ourselves, some part of it is for us. Writing can be so powerful. Somewhere in this world- someone feels exactly the same way, somewhere your writing can help someone. Whether you write a blog, book, article, so on; you can help others. 

    The takeaway? You can never answer these questions if you close your mind from thoughts. How can your paper, story, whatever you write be wrong when it felt right to you? 

    To end- writing is unique to each individual person. So the questions you ask or the “how do you know what to say, when to say it, how to say it”- that is entirely up to you. No one else can tell a writer not to say what they want, how they feel, that it’s not the right time to bring something up. If you write it, when you write it, know that then the time was right, and that it was worth mentioning. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finals thoughts

 Entry 67: Topic: Thoughts     I am slowly but surely, running out of things to talk about in my blog. As time has been progressing I keep f...